Monday, June 9, 2008

I Got 99 Problems But A Visa Ain't One

A here. After all that trouble at the Indian consulate, they delivered our visas in short order directly to my place of employment without a hitch. The visas look like the one to the right. Another very important piece of documentation which I acquired recently is my "Alcoholics" license, which apparently had been sitting at the liquor store for weeks, and I simply failed to answer the phone when they tried to call and let me know.

Stanley and I went down to the MMI the other day to make use of said license, and picked up (against my instincts) a 12-dirham bottle of gin, along with some more Beefeater. "Does it have alcohol in it?" I asked, sceptically surveying the label. Right there on the bottle, 48.5%. I still wondered if it was a joke. A 12-dirham bottle of gin? Later on, during a blind tasting, I discovered that the 12-dirham bottle actually tastes better than Beefeater in a gin & tonic. This won't come as a surprise to some smarty-pants out there, like Emmo, who have always said Beefeater makes a bad G&T.   But moreover, it gave me a healthy high-quality buzz, unlike some other cheap trunk gin I've had in my day. 

This is all a highly important scientific discovery, as my license restricts me to 750 dirhams worth of alcohol per month. If I were to spend that all on Beefeater, I'd be stuck with just 7 bottles. They don't even give you an extra allowance for the months with 31 days. But on the cheap gin? Sheeeeeeit, that's 62 bottles. I could even share with friends, especially in February.

No comments: