Friday, May 16, 2008

Troyka? Yes, Troyka.


"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever.  The bombing will begin in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan (during a microphone test)

Pictured Right:  Ahmadinejad teaching Putin to dance.

Just waking up for the second time today.  We went to the Russian nightclub known as Troyka with an older couple from the college last night.  They were called Maureen and Ron, or maybe Tom.  Tom was cool.  Maureen had a little too much (mostly good) advice for my taste, or maybe it was just the delivery: A little too aggressive, a little too sure that any course of action than other than hers will lead to heartache.  They've been here for 10 years, which is longer than anyone I've had any serious conversation with.   Both are teachers.  Tom (or Ron) at least likes to drink.  

We arrived at the club, after misjudging the taxi ride, at around 9:30.  This was far too early.  We were the only ones there and things were still getting set up.  TomRon and I split a half bottle of vodka (the waitress wasn't sure what I meant, finally realizing, "Oh! Wodka!") that was way too expensive, but oiled the conversational gears nicely.  Alicia and Maurine each had a glass of white wine.  Maurine insisted on having hers on the rocks.   Good bullshit sessions on politics and the media ensued, but not many other topics held our attention, besides the occasional aggressively given good advice.  The place had a middle of the road buffet, a middle of the road band, and a clientele that was primarily beautiful Russian women on the arms of less attractive, sometimes shockingly less attractive, men.  I refuse to speculate about which of the women were professional.  Maybe there's just someone for everyone.  (insert joke about Alicia liking me [here]) There was group of dancers (4 beautiful Russian women and two handsome Russian men) that came out periodically.  They were good dancers.  Maureen insisted that later performances would be featuring nudity.  We left at 1:45am and never saw anything more risque than you might see on Dancing With the Stars.  In honor of theratingsytem, I give the evening 3 out of 6 Troikas.  

I've worked for 4 days now at Dubai Women's College (A magical place,  Emirati women are the sweetest women in the world, quick with open smiles, anxious to talk, floating around slowly in beautiful abayas) and now it looks like the American University of Dubai still wants to interview me, in spite of the fact that I told them I'd be taking 2 months off starting June 20.  Maureen insists that I'd be taking way less than I'm worth and I should network more and make more money.  Honestly, I'm just exited that someone may want to hire me so soon after my arrival in this strange, lovely country. 


3 comments:

Max Power said...

Stanley, good post. However, you and Alicia should state right up front which of you is writing the blog post. It's confusing.

In what capacity would you be working for the university?

Did you see my latest blog? That's the party you missed, buddy. International adventure, my ass.

Alicia said...

Yeah good point.. this morning I accidentally posted while logged in as Stanley as well. From now on, like a true journalist, I'll self-identify every post: "Alicia here, reporting from central Dubai..."

Stanley said...

I would be working as the Student Financial Services Officer, which is basically just the guy who helps keep the books balanced and making sure the students pay tuition and stuff. Pretty low stress and pretty easy.