Friday, May 16, 2008

OK, Now that Dan's had a chance to speak...

Let's elaborate a little more on the Russian Nightclub.  Between each act, there were some lounge singers who performed a few numbers in conjunction with a scrawny pony-tailed fellow on the synth, allowing our dancers time to change into their next outfit, and allowing the clientele to take over the dance floor and bust a move.

Act I: Dancers in traditional garb and big hats perform a traditional Russian routine while we're starting on our wine and half-bottle of Wodka.

Act II: Dancers in Vegas-showgirl style sparkling one-piece outfits with large furry hats and boots perform a Vegas-showgirl style number complete with lots of high-kicking and shoulder-shaking. This is "salad phase" - retrieving lots of interesting first course items from the buffet, including chilled potatoes stuffed with herring and some of the most ginormous shrimp I've ever seen. Also, a "beef salad" which I quizzed the chef on. It looked like a rhubarb pie; bright red in the center, crumbs on top. "You cut it like a pie," the guy next to me said. "It's really beef?" I asked the chef. "Yes, beef." She said. "Is it raw?" I asked. "Not all," she said. I was too scared to try any. Later on Maureen informed me it was actually beet salad.

Act III: Male and Female dancers in black and yellow taxi-cab getups perform a Broadway-like number.

Act IV: Male and Female dancers perform another Broadway-like number in ridiculous red-white-and-blue outfits with lots of clown-like acrobatics, dance moves that involve the revealing of granny panties, tumbles and splits with cartoon noise accompaniment. 

Act V: The Arabian Belly Dance! Which was less Belly Dance and more... hmm... Vegas Showgirl Dance. Male dancers as well. Fun to watch.

I'm sure I missed a few... but that was something else. I'll definitely go back, especially for the dancing. This time I was pretty much stuck glued to my chair, hand clenched like stone between my legs, large scarf pulled tight around both arms, shivering to death as the result of a high fever which had come on that afternoon. Although I had taken Ibuprofen to ward off the signs of illness, I forgot to take more Ibuprofen with me to the nightclub, and I experienced a marked increase in fever, chills and bone ache at approximately midnight. I still thoroughly enjoyed the show, but will definitely do more dancing next time.

I lumbered out of the club at 2am like Frankenstein - glazed eyes, pale, pallid skin, stiff as a board, brain half-functional, went home and slept for a day and a half. It is now Saturday morning and I'm feeling marginally better, but still not in the mood to dance. I'm just glad it didn't get worse... I'm also not in the mood to try out the hospital here just yet.

1 comment:

Just Jack said...

Hey guys, Gosh sorry Alicia's wasn't feeling well, a little worried, hope your feeling better now! Was wondering….. do you take a daily multi vitamin? If not, please start! No need to experience Dubai's hospitals. Lol :)
Nightclub sounds fantastic!