Sunday, May 25, 2008

Pause for thought...

"First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women." -Scarface

Dan here.

So I was all geeked up about the job with AUD.   Seemed like the perfect gig.  Then I get a call out of the blue yesterday (Saturday).  I answer the phone thinking it's Alicia calling from the Library: "Hey."  Glad I didn't add "baby".  It was a man named Mohammed calling from a recruiting agency saying they had a position open with a major telecom providor, called Du, for a Collections Supervisor and would I be interested? 
"Sure, I'd be interested in discussing it."

"What salary would you require?"

"[double what I'm making at AUD]"

(quickly)"Ohyesyes, they're prepared to pay that.  Send your updated resume and we'll be in touch."

Hmmm....I know I said I wanted something more mellow than collections, but that does sound intriguing.  I guess I can be easily bought.  I told them in the interview at AUD that I wanted to work for an institution who's goals were something more than just the bottom line.  I guess everyone has his/her price.  

4 comments:

emmo said...

Hmmm... Does making twice as much money mean you can buy your sister twice as many birthday and Christmas presents? Because, if so, I like this new job idea... a lot... ;-)

Seems like it would be good to have a job that fully utilizes your skills in intimidation and manipulation...

Good luck in the decision-making...

Max Power said...

I see you quoted Scarface, but perhaps a better gangster movie would be "The Godfather Part III."

"Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in."

Micahoe said...

Hi Dan,
Long time reader, first time commentator. I love the Blog, anyway I just wanted to remind you that you are getting paid in silly money so double silly money isn't as good as it may seem.
I say go with your heart!

Stanley said...

Max and Micahoe,

First of all, Max, damn. That obiously is a better quote. I still like the picture of Pacino though.

And Micahoe: Silly money? Probably true. They still accept it at Citibank and apply it to my massive debt though. So I should probably at least consider earning more of it. The recruiters haven't been back in touch since that tantalizing first call, however so it may be a moot point.

Speaking of following your heart, when you gonna take the plunge and join the expat life?