Sunday, May 25, 2008

A New Librarian in the Mix

Yesterday we were paid a visit by a newly hired librarian, Catharina, from South Africa. She'll be starting in August at the beginning of the new school year. Hooray! I can hardly contain my excitement... I'm ready to get back to a 40 hour workweek.

In other news, I recently went to a system-wide meeting of librarians and supervisors (as alluded to in Abu Dhabi Wabi Tabi Babi or whatever... see below) and met a bunch of other people from around the system. Lo and behold... since then I've gotten about 5 "Facebook" friend requests from people who were at that meeting. It's a little uncanny. Small world indeed. Social networking? Who knew!

The good news is that I'm finding ways to not have to reinvent the wheel at Dubai Women's; if there's librarians like me all over the system needing to perform presumably the same tasks (reference, information literacy instruction, etc etc) then there MUST be ways that we can band together to make each others' lives easier. It's just a matter of getting the right piece of paper into the right hands, as Dan likes to say.

And in Other other news, I noticed that Oregon went heavily Obama after a rock-concert-esque style rally at Waterfront Park. I have to say I'm sad I missed it. And then Hillary suggested that she remain in the race because he might be assassinated? Tsk tsk, tact, tact. Seems like he's taking it OK though. That's what I like to see: lets all be friends, eh?

Lastly but not leastly, we've got a new student assistant working in the library named Ayda. She is a great assistant with a great attitude and wonderful work ethic and fantastic interpersonal skills, and she pulls out her mobile phone every time she is shelving so that she can double-check the order of the English alphabet. It's sooooooo sweet. 

1 comment:

mugabu said...

A library worker who actually cares about the order of the alphabet. Bless her heart. Around here lately, close counts in horse-shoes, hand grenades, and shelving. Ca, Ce, close, but no cigar. Come on, there was a reason we learned that song. Let's use it people.