Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm Hungry

Today was the first day of Ramadan, and it passed without incident, except that I got home from work starving. I forgot to buy anything to pack a lunch with so I grabbed a nutri-grain bar on the way out of the house, thinking that would tide me over. Well, Dan-O accidentally spent his last 30 dirhams on gas, and for some reason is keeping his ATM card in storage at the central branch of HSBC, so I gave him my bar on the way to work, thinking that at least I get to go home after 6 or 7 hours instead of 9 like him.

With no breakfast, no water, and no lunch on the horizon, I was having psychosomatic starvation pangs at about 11:30am. Luckily, I found an old half-eaten box of tic-tacs in my desk drawer which I gobbled down after locking myself in the upstairs staff bathroom for privacy. Then later I got home and found a kitchen full of exactly 1/2 the ingredients needed to cook almost anything. I've got pasta, but no sauce. I've got peanut butter, but no bread. I've got frozen peas, but no chicken, a-la, or king. This is a case of Bad Planning. Peanut-pasta-peas? No. In the end, I settled for some instant coffee and butter crackers with butter. I think I must order in a lot more often than I thought I did.

7 comments:

emmo said...

Maybe I'm weird, but I've never needed anything except a spoon to eat peanut butter for dinner... ;-D

I'm sure you guys will get the hang of Ramadan soon... I feel so bad for my friends here who are fasting, since they're surrounded by all these other people who are gorging themselves whenever they feel like it...

We were talking about this yesterday: Do kids get to eat during the day? It seems hard to explain fasting to a 2-year-old...

Stanley said...

The kids get to eat, even in public from what I understand. They don't start fasting until they're old enough to understand.

Plus, Alicia had eggs and cheese and yoghurt and flatbread in the house. Don't ask me why that wasn't sufficient. :)

Alicia said...

Mmmm.. nothing like a meal made out of dairy, dairy, dairy, and a vector for dairy.

emmo said...

Ummmm... When did eggs and flatbread become dairy? ;-)

I always thought eggs were a protein (not even coming from an animal with mammary glands, much less a cow) and flatbread was a source of carbohydrates... with cheese and yogurt being dairy-based sources for protein and calcium... Some veggies in the mix would be nice, but aside from that it sounds pretty balanced to me (especially relative to a meal of crackers with butter), no?

Alicia said...

Listen, I respect your desire to adhere to "scientific" explanations, but I go with my gut. And my gut tells me that they put the eggs in the dairy section at the grocery store, and that's all there is to it. I don't need you fancy-pants arugula-eating intelligentsia telling me what's dairy and what's calcium.

Max Power said...

noodles and peanut butter? sounds like the makings for pad thai to me.

SingerMamaMelody said...

Wow, you sounded hungry here! That must've been a tough day. I hope you guys are doing well.