Saturday, September 20, 2008

An eventful weekend

This weekend was exciting in many ways. Thursday night I attended the Iftar dinner at school with Dan-O and we hung out with our pals there, and I got some henna done on my finger (right). 

On Friday we got up late and picked up a new galpal librarian at her place to go out for breakfast at More with another library-lady and her beau and another faculty member. We got the brunch and stuffed ourselves stupid; I was already pleased about the whole thing, however, because I didn't think More could be open during Ramadan. Turns out they can, somehow. I had some lamb that tasted for sure like it must have been cooked in wine, but it surely must have been grape juice.

After brekkie we rolled back to galpal's place to shoot the breeze and ended up staying all afternoon, until wandering at about 6pm down to Spinney's at Al-Ghurair Center and finding... at long last.... lime leaves!! I snatched up a packet and committed it to memory for future reference. For lime leaves, go to Al-Ghurair.

We scurried on home and had a couple G&Ts before hitting the pool after hours. It was awesome - all dark, up on the roof, under the night-time sky, with nothing but the stars and the top of a crane next-door to look out at.  Just us chickens, swimming around like we owned the place.

Well, this sounds like a weekend made in heaven, aside from what happened next, which is that I came back downstairs and hopped into bed directly via Dan's skull. It REALLY hurt. I made sure to cry a lot so that I wouldn't have to get my own icepack. The end result is a very attractive black eye with just enough puffiness to make me look strung-out with one eye half shut. It's not that black, and the blackness is all on the top not the bottom, so it could be worse. Still, I'll probably get some looks at work tomorrow.

A full fun-ness recovery was in order, sin embargo (as they say in Spain); today we went to Lulu and got all the supplementary ingredients necessary to make a couple of awesome curries (with the lime leaves), a red peanut curry with beef and  a green vegetable curry. The resulting dinner was the best we've ever made. Hoorah!

2 comments:

Max Power said...

Alicia,
If Stanley is beating you, don't make excuses for him. "I jumped on him in bed" sounds the same as "I ran into a door."

Second, you guys have a pool in your building? I never knew that.

Alicia said...

Yes 1 pool, right next to the hot tub. Yet another excellent reason to visit. :)