Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bargain for your Supper

Alicia here. Ah, the joy.

"Welcome to our fine beachside restaurant," the waiter says, setting glasses and napkins on the table. "Would you like to try some lobster or prawns?"
"Maybe. How much are those prawns?" Dan inquires.
"900 rupees for ten big prawns." Says the waiter.
"900? That's crazy!" Dan scoffs.
"Sir, these are very big prawns. Like this, this big. (He hold out a thumb and forefinger). Very fresh. 10am this morning they are coming."
"I'll give you 450 for those prawns." Dan states dryly.
"Sir, 900 for two people. Big prawns! Coming with veg rice, chips, everything. Today for you, special price - 800."
"With everything? Rice and chips for both? Maybe. Still, that's a lot to spend on lunch. I'll give you 600."
"Salad too sir, this is very good price. Those people there paid 2000 for 15 prawns this size." He gestures at a nearby table.
"I don't care what those people paid for their prawns. Those people are rich. I'm not rich."
"Well sir I give you 700, last price."
"700? With everything? .....OK."

3 comments:

emmo said...

Wow. I am in awe of you, Stanley. I really just don't have it in me... I know you saved nearly $5 between the two of you, but I'd probably be willing to pay an additional $5 over the asking price if it meant not having to bargain with anyone...

Ah well. I can already see the giant smiles that will await me from the vendors in Malaysia when I decide to just go ahead and pay full price without haggling... ;-)

Stanley said...

First of all, Mamallapuram is the only place I've ever had to bargain for food anywhere in the world, and it's only for the high end fish. The rest you just order off the menu.

Second, you'll be surprised. You'll just decide not to get something because the price is too high, and then magically the price will come down! And all of a sudden, without knowing it, my little sister will be haggling...

emmo said...

I guess it's a good thing that the main thing I'll be purchasing in Malaysia is food, then...

I look forward to my inadvertent haggling in other venues... ;-)