Monday, July 7, 2008

S.I.R.- When in Rome...

Stanley here. So it's always interesting adapting to a new culture, trying to be polite when you're not always sure what polite means. For example: Most people eat with their hands here. But only the right hand. It's a bit tricky at first. Especially curry and rice. And your left hand is always trying to sneak in and help with stuff like tearing naan. Another thing that people do here apparently is throw all their garbage out the window of the moving train. I would have thought that was rude if my co-travelers weren't throwing everything (paper, plastic, aluminum) right out into the night without even bothering to be sneaky about it. Instead of being appalled I joined right in. What else could I do? What would Jesus do?

Another thing people do here that I felt I should experience is get Ayurvedic Massage treatment. I'll let you Google its benefits if you are interested. Basically I just thought it'd be fun. Let me tell you: You truly have to leave your inhibitions at the door.

It works like this. You go in. A strong Indian man tells you to hang your clothes in the corner. You strip naked, at which point the man comes over and girds you with a g-string like contraption. You lie down and the man firmly and repeatedly rubs every square inch of your exposed flesh with special Ayurvedic oil very thoroughly for 45 minutes. You leave feeling relaxed, refreshed and oily, and maybe just a bit weirded out by the intimate time you've shared with the strong Indian man. Hey, when in Rome....

1 comment:

Max Power said...

Stanley, you're fooling no one. I've seen you in a g-string, all oiled up. You're not uncomfortable in that state, not at all.