Friday, July 4, 2008

S.I.R.- Munnar Chapter

Day something, hour something. After the bus strike fiasco we hired a driver to drive Priya's car the 4 hours of winding bumpy roads to our accommodations (call me a sissy but I'm not into driving here and the driver costs $6 per day). Rolled into the "hill-station" (town on a hill, I guess...) of Munnar at night in the driving rain and wind. Finally realized what they mean by "rainy season." Ordered room service and hit the hay. Woke up the next day to fabulous weather, sun and scattered clouds. Spent 3 relaxing and breathtakingly gorgeous days cruising around the stunning mountain roads overlooking miles and miles of tea plantations that blanket every slope. We hit a few parks and animal sanctuaries, saw some monkeys and elephants and rare mountain goats, took a couple of pictures, but I'm telling you, the best part was staring at those hills all day. No way to describe them and pictures do them little justice.

Back in Kochi now and killing a day and a half before we head to Goa. Let me be honest….Can I be honest here? We’ve been a little pampered so far. P.D. Jose, our friend and neighbor, has insisted on arranging practically everything for us. We’ve kind of been along for the ride, getting the best of everything with no real effort. That all changes when we board the Second Class Sleeper Car (we’ve heard things….bad things) of the train to Panaji and proceed to hack out our journey north as the mood takes us. I’m looking forward to this change in structure the way an 18 year-old looks forward to going off to college. There are certain to be setbacks, but we're psyching ourselves up by saying it's all part of the fun. As a man once said and I’m fond of repeating (a little cheesily, I admit) “Buy the ticket, take the ride.” We’ll keep you posted.