Thursday, July 31, 2008

Je Ne Se Pa?

Alicia here. We're in Mamallaparam (on the bay of Bengal) and enjoying the beach and the sunshine. Yesterday we chased a Chameleon around the room and caught it in a pillowcase where it turned white. Last night we ate a fresh tuna fish and took a walk on the beach where I spotted a perfectly intact spiny seashell and a few dead sea anemones, and half of a large red crab. Due to a limitation of options, I'm acquiring a taste for light lager. We met some kiwis who are racing from Chennai to Mumbai in an autorickshaw to raise money for charity. Sounds like fun to me - but I'm sure enjoying being lazy on the beach. We've got lots of fresh seafood around here and very few mosquitos. I set the alarm this morning to try to wake up for sunrise, but couldn't pry my eyes open once it rang. I'll try again tomorrow.
Everybody here is French, and a barman told me it's French holiday time right now. None of the French people make eye contact or speak - I've been plainly blown off after a friendly "Hello!" at least 10 times. But I did manage to engage in exchange with an inquisitive little french girl with a shaved head who spoke a few meager words of English. Due to our repoir, her father gave me the time of day, although he seemed to roll his eyes after learning I was American. "Bonjour!" I called to them in departing, offering a two-fingered salute. "Au revoir!" The father corrected me. "Au revoir!" I called back. "Au revoir!" They waved. If only I could find the words in French to tell them that I hate freedom fries and love crepes.

No comments: