Thursday, May 1, 2008

I've Arrived: Dan's First Post

It's now 4:48 am and I guess I didn't do the jet lag solution (drink and sleep as much as possible during travel) perfectly cause I'm wide awake and have been for a couple of hours now.  We'll see how I do today.  We're going to brunch and shopping or some such thing.  I got in around 7:30 and left the airport around 9:00 so basically Alicia just picked me up and we went back to our fabulous adobe to shower and drink cocktails (liquor courtesy of the duty free shop as Alicia still has not received a liquor license: my first contribution to our Life in Dubai).   My first impressions are all good.  The apartment is truly sweet.  Alicia's photo's do not adequately express how large it is.  We're going to have to do some serious work filling it with furniture.  Right now there are two rooms with just about nothing in them.  But as a wise man once said, "First get a job, THEN buy stuff."  

That being said, I guess there's some kind of low level temp job that Alicia was good enough to line up for me at the college.  I'm going to go interview on Monday, but I guess the job is more or less mine.  I'm pretty geeked up about it.  I hate being unemployed for any length of time at all.   (To my unemployed friends: not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me.)  So hopefully I can get on the right sleep schedule and hit the ground running.  I gotta get pumped up for this.   

All right team, let's do this.  Desire on three.  One, two, three, DESIRE!

Wait that sounds stupid.  

Win on three?  No.  

Sleep on three?  Eh.

Get a job on three?  Ok.  One, two, three, GET A JOB! 

Still stupid, but it'll have to do for now.  



5 comments:

Just Jack said...

Glad to know you made it. That was a lot of traveling and no problems? Good for You! we were wondering how driving would be? Right side? Left side? Tijuana Taxi lol Please tell.....How about the streets....are they...numbered, Symbols,names, letters? I guess the questions is how is it alike or most important how is it different. Love reading the blog. how exciting for you both, and thanks for letting us come along for the ride....!

Midge said...

246. Wii bowling. Suck it.

Just Jack said...

GREAT!!! TKS

Anonymous said...

M&D-

The streets here are strewn with the burning corpses of those who lacked the will to drive the way that one must in this land of sand and terror. The best advice for a novice approaching the streets of Dubai for the first time is this: You must be prepared to look death in the eye and by facing it, come to understand your own true nature. Will you cower in fear or will you rise and smite your enemy? When you have an answer to this question you will not have to travel to reach your destination. You will have already arrived.

Alicia said...

Hey, actually driving is much like it is in North America. The streets signs are written in English. Don't listen to Dan. The bodies aren't burning; they're crucified.

The hardest part is that nobody uses addresses. It's all landmarks. Where do we live, exactly? Near Karachi Darbar on the road to Sharjah, right across from the Canary building. Come find us. ;)