Thursday, May 22, 2008

And just like that, I'm employed.


I got a job today. The American University in Dubai (right) has asked me to be their Financial Affairs Officer. This basically means I'll be keeping the books and making sure the students pay their bills (which apparently they are required to do in cash. Seriously. Cash.). I met with the Executive VP today. He really didn't ask me anything other than basic, "How long have you been in Dubai?" and "So you're planning on staying here for awhile?" Then it was, "Well Lily says she's really exited about you, so I'm fine with it. Welcome aboard. Go down to HR and we'll get the process rolling." Seriously. I interviewed with three different people at AUD and the toughest question I was asked was, "So, do you think you'd be comfortable with the accounting responsibilities?" To which I replied, "Yes. Yes, I do." To which the CFO replied. "OK then." I gotta say, I'm starting to like this country. And did I mention their letting me start Wednesday, then take 2 months off?

In addition, my visa finally came through, so I'm now a legal semi-permanent resident of this fair emirate, and on Tuesday I'll be getting my driver's license, which I'll need for starting my job Wednesday (hopefully no more than a 45 minute drive across town in somewhat nightmarish morning traffic) . Finally, after a month waiting in the passenger seat, I have the opportunity to show the maniac drivers all across Dubai who their daddy is during the morning commute. Expect bloodshed.

2 comments:

Max Power said...

Congratulations! I always knew you could do it! You're my special angel, my touch of class, my precious snowflake!

Seriously, though, good job.

Stanley said...

And you sir, are now, and always will be, the wind beneath my wings.