Monday, May 19, 2008

Abu Dhabi Wabi Tabi Babi

Today I borrowed the college car, picked up three of my librarian buddies, and cruised down the road for 2 hours to Abu Dhabi for a librarians/supervisors meeting. The morning commuter traffic getting out of Dubai was harrowing; made me wish I had bumpers on all sides of my car instead of just the front and back. 

Abu Dhabi, as it turns out, is a remarkably beautiful city; I saw far fewer cranes, piles of dirt and orange traffic cones in Abu Dhabi than I see in Dubai. Also, the library at Abu Dhabi Men's College is GORGEOUS.  Soft halogen lighting; warm, vibrant colors; neat wall art and art objects. I was very impressed.

They fed us cappuccino and lunch, and at some point in the afternoon served us cake (mine appeared without my even asking while I was away in the ladies' room) and therefore I had to break my no-cake programme. I'm starting again right now though, so from now on, really, really and truly, honest to God, no more cake.

We made some important breakthroughs at the meeting, related to boring stuff like information literacy and reading promotion (boring to non-librarians, anyway). I'll leave the full description for Dan, because I know he'll humor me.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

you're kidding right? you can't give up caaayyuhhk.

you're gorgeous. no need to deprive yourself.