Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Oh yeah... Easter

I got an e-card from family reminding me it was Easter! I never would have known. It's funny how, when you live in a non-Christian nation, you don't get those little "heads up" clues in all the stores in the 8 weeks before every Christian holiday. Not here - no easter eggs, bunny baskets, pastel pink and blue ribbons, candies and chocolate wrappers; no nothing. I even had three people ask me "is there a holiday today?" on Easter, and I still didn't remember. I thought for sure they were just misusing the English term 'holiday' to comment on the season finale of Survivor or something. To compound the difficulties, it was recently Arabic Mother's Day, and so when I saw all the Mother's Day crap in the stores, I thought I had really blown it and not even called my mother. Turns out American Mother's Day is still like 2 months away. -whew-. Next Easter, I will be sure to share my Western heritage more fully with my non-western pals by recruiting them to help me dye easter eggs and stew a rabbit. (Is that part of the tradition?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no! Poor bunny!

Faqir Arnabon! I wonder if the word poor like money is used for poor like "poor thing" awww.

Anyways, do you attend the women's school in Al-Ain? I'll be there for a month soon.

Sweet photo on your blog.