Monday, March 24, 2008

My weekend

This weekend was a leisurely weekend, based primarily on shopping and lounging. It was a 3-day weekend, in celebration of the Prophet Mohammed's (Peace Be Upon Him) birthday. I convinced myself to do some sweeping but no mopping, and spent the rest of the time wandering the streets of Dubai looking for things to purchase. The highlight of the weekend was probably visiting the Souq Madinat Jumeirah (pictured) where I bought some loose-leaf tea and a brilliantly delicious sushi lunch w/ a friend from the college. Definitely the best sushi I've had so far. I spent most of the day Saturday lounging about in the Sahara Center Mall which is right across the street from the apartment. I picked up a few work clothes and sat in a Starbuck's sipping a latte, eating carrot cake and reading the paper for a couple of hours. I was extraordinarily lazy. Mmmmm.... laaazy.

Now it's back to work though - and work is busy busy busy. Our staff is supposed to have 3 librarians, 2 library technicians, and 4 library assistants, but we only have 1, 2 and 3 respectively, which is about to go down to 1, 1, and 2. It's going to be rough. There's so much little stuff to do everyday that I can hardly afford to spend any time thinking about the larger picture (like, developing library classes, etc), and I find myself constantly skipping breaks and lunch in order to actually accomplish anything. So... when the weekend comes again, I'll probably forgo the mopping again and kick back with a latte to save up energy for next week. But.. the best part is those sweet, sweet students!! See below for a perfect example. There's nothing more rewarding than connecting a student with the right resource. Totally geeky librarian, I know, but I can't help it.

1 comment:

Midge said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend to me!