Monday, February 18, 2008

At the airport

Dan and I have learned a great deal over the years from the diligent consumption of Dan Savage's columns and novels. One of the things we've learned from Mr. Savage, which Dan brought to my attention some time ago, was that nothing will get you whisked into the extra security screening line at the airport faster than flying one-way on a ticket bought with somebody else's credit card. See http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=13080 for a more detailed explanation.

A truly scientific conclusion is always replicable- and, sure enough - today's hypothesis was confirmed with a very low probability of the results occurring randomly! A very nice TSA lady today swabbed every single piece of carry-on material I had with me for explosive residue, flicking me an approving and knowing smile every time the giant black machine blinked 'green' for 'no explosive residue on THAT swab! on to the next!'  Yes m'am, I am flying one-way on a ticket purchased by someone I've never met and hailing from a foreign nation. Swab away. Truthfully, even the other people in the extra security screening line were not being examined as thoroughly as I was. Many of them were able to pick their bags up after x-ray and shuffle right along. But me? I got to sit down and relax, and exchange satisfied glances with the TSA lady. After being so sure it would happen all along, (Thanks Dan Savage!), it was extremely satisfying to have turned out to be right. I probably would have been disappointed had they just let me through un-swabbed. 

On to the next leg. So far, so good. 

No comments: