Thursday, August 13, 2009

2 kilos of apples

I'm going to make apple crisp today, because Dan accidentally got 2 kilos of apples delivered to the house. 'Nuff said.

It's my first day back in Dubai, and I dropped the man off at work so that I could make use of the car, which I did, to drive around to several different stores looking for the ingredients for turkey soup and seared tuna. Unfortunately, turkey and tuna are not available in this town, which I determined only after buying everything else. I'm going to try the soup with chicken, and I may yet venture further afield in search of the tuna over the weekend.

I actually did find one whole turkey carcass at the third grocery store I visited - but it was expensive, and it was way too much turkey. I don't need a -whole- turkey, just a half pound or so.

I am delighted, however, to be the proud new owner of both an espresso machine and a big shiny toaster oven. Embarking on year 2 here, I decided to start furnishing my kitchen like someone who lives here instead of someone who's just visiting. Out with the $6 toaster that burns everything, in with the Black & Decker convection oven/toaster/broiler. Cha-ching! The first thing I'm going to do when I get it out of the box is make some cheese toast.

All this wild adventure makes my trip back here seem like a distant memory, despite it being only yesterday. I know I'm back in Dubai when...

...between disembarking the plane and passport control, where there are absolutely no options to turn, but there are several escalators and moving walkways, some group of travelers in front of me decides to pull up nice and cozy at the entrance to the escalator with all their luggage and stop for a chat. Typical.

...it takes me 30 seconds to breeze through passport control. This is ALWAYS the case. In every other country in the world, it takes 15, 30, 60, 90 minutes. Here in Dubai? 30 seconds. Thank you again.

...McDonald's is only serving Halal meats.

I can take a deep breath of dusty, humid air, and smile - I'm back in familiar surrounds.

No comments: