Monday, August 10, 2009

Back In The Emirates

And I'm back. DXB to PDX. PDX to LIM. LIM to PDX. PDX to DXB. A fantastic vacation that I wish wholeheartedly was still in full swing. The reunions with friends and family were painfully insufficient to tide me over for what may be a long abscence in some cases. The travel was tantilizing spectacular, making me wonder how much more fun it would have been with a month or two more to explore. But tragically, I'm back at work. Life goes on and I haven't yet figured out a way to live that untethered life that I seriously try to map out every time my alarm goes off in the morning. The life that only that guy someone once met in passing knows how to live where you just keep traveling and getting into adventures, but nothing tragic or terrible ever happens. That guy is the coolest.

But it ain't all bad. I've been using the unfortunate condition of Alicia's absense to catch up on my gin drinking, my bar visiting, and my dance-club going. And while work is a chore, it's been good to catch up with some Dubai friends who seem to have been going stir crazy in the Summer doldrums waiting for people to return from vacations. Dubai isn't particularly pleasant weather-wise this time of year and the streets are inordinately quiet, as are the halls of my employer. Hence, a few people were happy to see me. Funny how that makes it feel a little more like home.

No comments: