Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tasty!!

Today we went to the foodie festival in Dubai Media City and tried some yummy food. My favorite thing was some kind of red curry duck with pineapples in it so now we're going to have to visit this Thai restaurant for a full meal.  We sampled a ton of other fantastic fare while there, Dan tried some Namibian beer, and Dan & Caretha donned aprons for a little cooking demo. We tried to get into the "Beers of the World" demo but it was all booked up. Alas!

I tell you, it's a whole 'nother world in Media City. Over here in our neighborhood, I feel exposed if I wander around outisde with short sleeves on. I'm always careful to bring a sweater or a pashmina in case I need to cover up, I wear long pants or skirts, and so does everyone else. But over in media city? Might as well call it skank city. Knees and shoulders everywhere, backless tops, miniskirts & short shorts, the whole nines. I momentarily feel as though I am back in America. It's like a cultural oasis over there. I need to re-adjust myself before I go back to the States. This is how my conversations with Dan always go:

Me: "What should I wear?"
Dan: "Wear that blue top."
Me: "But it's sleeveless."
Dan: "So?"
Me: "I don't want to walk around like a complete ho-bag. People will think I'm a hooker."
Dan: "Ummmm....."

I wore short-sleeves today and it took me about 20 minutes to forget about it and focus on the food. A year working in a place where everyone is covered in shayla and abaya really starts to screw with your sense of propriety.

5 comments:

emmo said...

Hmmm... I've never met a red curry duck with pineapple that I liked as well as pretty much any version that doesn't involve pineapple...

I'm always so sad when I order a red curry duck somewhere and see those damn pineapple pieces in it... I sigh and think to myself "Alas... I guess this is not the restaurant for me..."

Alicia said...

Well sister, I'VE never met a red curry duck without pineapple that I liked as well as this version. It was like, the best red curry I've ever had in my LIFE. So they must have done something right. :) But you know, it didn't have like chunks of pineapple, we just detected the flavor... then later found some little shreds that were determined to be pineapple matter. Cuz I could see how big chunks of pinapple pieces might be a little overpowering....

Unknown said...

I see "Stanley" is embracing his feminine side. Sweater or Pashmina? Hmmm....

emmo said...

@Alicia: Interesting. I have my personal favorite style of red curry duck, but you will definitely have to take me to this place so I can try their version next time I visit...

@Vicki: I found the transcript of Stanley's conversation with this "Dan" person quite fascinating, as well...

Alicia said...

hahaha... good point