Monday, December 15, 2008

Haircuts


Despite having lived in Dubai for seven months, events unfolded, either by accident or design, in such a way that I had not yet (until recently) had my hair cut in this fair Emirate. Last week I finally bit the bullet and walked over to the venerable establishment known as "Al Kamal Hair Cutting Saloon" (Salons are called "Saloons" here. Weird.), located right across the street from our flat. The staff was solid, the place smelled surprisingly good, and I got a hell of a good haircut for only 20 Dirhams (about 5 bucks). The only question I was asked was "Haircut?" but that seemed to be enough to get the job done.

It's not that I hadn't been given a haircut in 7 months. I got here in April, freshly cut at the assembly-line over at Great Clips (at the NE Broadway location where I, to my eternal shame, waited patiently to insert my oh-so-cool-won't-you-please-validate-me travel plans into the awkward barber-banter). I followed that up two months later with a decent cut in India, followed 2 months later by a strange, slightly uncomfortable, and strangely styled cut in Thailand. Hence, by being the kind of guy who refuses to get his hair cut until it looks ridiculous, I managed to get my hair cut in 4 countries in 11 months. That's got to be closing in on a record, and if it's not...well...then I guess I'll never be closing in on a record.

Anyhoo...I thought I'd share my travel-haircut thoughts (throwing in China from way-back-when), in hopes that it may amuse or benefit someone someday. Ranked from best to worst based on total overall value.

1. India- Price $0.75; Includes shave, exfoliation, cucumber scented lotions, head, ear and back massage, and a pretty decent haircut. English Spoken: Some. I didn't walk out feeling like I looked like a million bucks, but the level of service was unparalleled.

2. China- Price $0.22; Includes shave and haircut. English Spoken: Not a word. In the end, I looked a little military but the shave was worth coming back for. My traveling companion had a horrifying (for him, for me amusing) experience at the same place leading me to offer this advice: If you're at all worried about it, do yourself the favor of taking as long as necessary to illustrate via hand motions how much of your beautiful hair you would like to fall to the floor with the first swipe of the clippers.

3. Dubai: Price $5.40, Includes haircut. English Spoken: One Word. Probably the best looking haircut of my non-U.S. haircuts, but the price leaves something to be desired. Next time I'll include a shave and see if that tips the scales.

4. Thailand: Price $3.00, Includes strange haircut, styling gel and bloody shave. English Spoken: A little. I had high hopes for the Thai shave and a haircut, but it ended up disappointing. The shave was a bit painful and left my face raw and bleeding. The haircut...well it looked like it would fit if I were a Bangkok hipster. It combed out OK though and it got the job done.

2 comments:

Max Power said...

Better a Bangkok hipster than a Banghip kokster. Think about it...


The only comparable experience I have is when I went to the Phagan's School of Beauty on Broadway once. I was on my lunch break, and Great Clips had a half-hour wait. I was about to give up, when I realized I had parked right in front of the beauty school (coincidence?). I went in to get my $7 cut. I was in my fauxh-hawk phase at the moment, and asked for that. The girl went "oh, sure," and proceded to give me a mushroom cut. I looked like a Koopa Troopa from Super Mario Brothers. That's almost the exact opposite of what I requested. My tip was minimal.

emmo said...

Ah, yes... I remember your Bangkok hipster haircut well... I get a smile on my face every time I think of you walking into our hotel room (all gelled out) and asking how it looked... Hee... =)