Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Back on the Wagon

It's been awhile since my last post, and that's because I've been extremely busy, and also there's someone living in the room with the computer that I am disinclined to disturb.

In the news; Emily arrived, and we've been doing an inordinate amount of grocery shopping as a result. I also went to Al Ain this week for a system meeting and decided that, while pretty, Al Ain would be a boring place to live. As a result of that foray, I've been crowned information literacy hoe-down queen and must now present to my three colleagues a summary of information-seeking behavior models so that we can pick one to use as a foundation for teaching activity. I was also crowned "chair" of the committee that's going to be putting together an Everybody Reads program around Jules Verne's classic Around the World in 80 Days next year. Asi se va, I am quite busy.

On the way back from Al Ain, a giant dust devil (I like to think of it as a tornado) crossed the road in front of us in the desert. Exciting! I tried hard to drive through it, but couldn't get there before it had fully crossed.

Enough librarian stuff.

Last night I went out with my galpal who I met at school. She is Emirati and has quite a sense of humor and a surprising violent and stubborn streak, which I find incredibly amusing in the stories she tells. Example 1: And for this example to really take effect, you have to know this girl - she's the type that would go out of her way for anybody and is petite and adorable and sweet as a button. So, when her ex-husband was being controlling and things really came to a boil, sweety-girl went outside in the middle of the night and smashed his car with a rock from the garden while half dressed and waving to him through the window. When she learned the police were coming, she calmly stepped inside, put on and arranged her abaya and sheila, and then went back outside to wait. Then when the police arrived, she insisted to them that she couldn't be trusted to not continue smashing the car after they left again. Therefore, they needed to take her to the police station to file a full report. So they did, and while riding in the back of the police car without the husband she filled them in on how he was a "crazy man". Success? I'm not sure, but it certainly is hilarious.

Let's see.... what else to report? Nothing right now.

2 comments:

Max Power said...

Sounds like there's a whole lot of Meyer in one place. I am jealous of the fooding and boozing I can only imagine is going on.

Midge said...

Good to hear that Emily is paying for her room and board by plumping everyone up!