Saturday, August 30, 2008

Obamadan

Before we get started, let's address some of the exciting American election news that has come about of late. I'm speaking of course, about Senator John McCain's pick of one Mrs. Palin as his running mate. The reaction from this voter is decisive: I'm all in favor of having a woman sit in the veep's chair the next four years, but I am NOT all in favor of that woman looking better than me. So, without much hoo-ha, the gig's up. Sorry, McCain/Palin, you've lost my vote.

NOW: Will I cast my ballot for Obama/Biden, or will I abstain? This issue remains undecided, until I hear directly from Obama how his administration plans to address the needs and concerns of the under-25 homeowner iPod-listener expatriate female cat-lover voting block.

With that out of the way, let's move on to the cultural phenomenon that is Ramadan. During Ramadan, many muslim families in UAE with the means cook meals for their entire neighborhoods every night of the month. Some people set up Ramadan tents on street corners and feed people as they pass. Mosques feed THOUSANDS, and run every single night, all month long. People donate money to help the poor. The government forgives loans and promotes charity. It's a whole month out of the year when observers focus intensely on God, spirituality, loving thy neighbor, etc etc, through both physical and mental exertion. Is this not the most noble thing you've ever heard of? Opportunities abound to join with the nation in this observance; anyone can sign up to "fast with a family" and join them in their home for the evening meal (breaking the fast). My co-worker (non-religious) said that last year her Muslim neighbors left her a complete feast-to-go wrapped on her doorstop every night, along with everyone in their whole complex. Do we ever hear about the remarkable charitable month of Ramadan in the US? Never. I learned to sing "dreidel dreidel" and fabricate Kwanzaa costumes in public school around Christmastime but never did anything for Ramadan or any Muslim holidays. I'm getting an education now.

No comments: