Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Two more nights, please

Alicia here. Since arriving in Darjeeling, I've kicked a sickness, gotten tons of exercise walking up and down hills, and revitalised my enthusiasm for the revolution by watching the Gorkhas stage daily protests in effort to achieve the sovereign state of Gorkhaland. It's been a physical and spiritual renewal - I even hopped a fence to get into the botanical gardens on strike day and shared some peace pipe with a fellow traveller. I've got a full bowl of tibetan noodle soup in my belly and I'm not even scared of those freaky monkeys anymore. It's cold, damp, full of evergreens and large spiders and colorful beetles, we're totally socked in and can only occasionally catch a glimpse of the other side of the hill, and we're drying ourselves out every night and morning with hot coal fires and freshly brewed tea (or in Dan's case, whiskey). After two nights here we asked the man for three more nights, and on coming up on the third night, we decided we better ask for two more. Hell, I'm not sure I'll ever leave at this rate. The streets are full of monks and puppies and kittens and baby monkeys, cars can't even drive on most of the roads here, leaving the air fresh and misty-clean, and plastic bags are completely banned. Even though I can't see it now, I know that there's a spectacular Himalayan mountain panorama just through the clouds. Is this not the best place on planet earth? Let's hold Darjeeling up in contrast to what I've firmly decided is the rank left armpit of the world, Delhi. Can two places so far on either end of the spectrum really exist a mere 26-hour train ride and 2.5 hour jeep ride away from each other? It seems they can, and they do. I'm just glad we made it here. At this point, is there something else in India, or Nepal, or Bhutan, to lure me away? I couldn't think of one this morning, so by default we had it: two more nights.

8 comments:

Max Power said...

That sounds dreamy. I hope you guys come back relaxed and refreshed.

Micahoe said...

Large spiders! That's not the best way to sell me on International travel.

Anonymous said...

Ok...im totally jealous. Can u mention to Dan that Favre may be a Buccaneer by 07-26-08. Dont know if he is keeping up or not.

emmo said...

Favre's not going to be a Buc, dude... Allen is just pissed that Garcia took his contract issues to the media, so he's trying to put him in his place and remind him that (especially at his age and with the number of games he missed due to injury last year) we're not scared to move on if he doesn't want to shut up and play.

The Bucs defense has to make up for enough mistakes by the offense as it is. They don't need Favre trying to break the single-season interception record (to go with his career record) in a Tampa jersey.

And if I'm wrong I will cry... I don't think my heart can something like that after all the Bucs have put me through over the last few years...

In other news, the monkey picture is adorable!

Alicia said...

Micah, from one arachnaphobe to another, I can tell you, it ain't so bad after six months of nothing but giant cockroaches in the desert. It kind of reminds me of Portland... where the large spiders are plentiful. Or perhaps I've let the cat out of the bag. Quick! Run to Dubai! =)

Stanley said...

Micahoe,

You can't fool me. I know I don't have to "sell" you on international travel. I may have to "sell" omeone with less testicular fortitude, like a certain DJ we know, but not you.

Michelle,

The collection waters are fine overseas! Go ahead and test them. We'll stream the football games via the magic of the internet. We'll miss nothing. Seahawks will be tough next year. Bucs I'm not so sure...

emmo said...

Stanley:

Expect a multi-page treatise in your inbox soon on why the Bucs are in EXCELLENT shape this year... It's going to be so sweet having a home game for the Super Bowl. You can stuff your negativity in a sack, mister...

Unknown said...

Glad you are enjoying my old stomping grounds.

Lynn