Saturday, March 15, 2008

Did I mention driving is dangerous?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you exhibit A: two photographs of the Abu-Dhabi/Dubai highway accident which occured a couple fo days ago in foggy conditions. The accident injured almost 400 people and stretched for several kilometers from front to back. I think, remarkably, only 3 or 4 people were killed.

Yes, it was foggy; but the real cause of this accident was people paying absolutely no attention to the fog and rocketing down the freeway at 120kph without being able to see the wall of flaming cars 20 meters in front of them.

More people here are killed in traffic accidents every year than one can possibly believe. Call me paranoid, but if it's foggy outside, (which it is about, 2 days a year), I am not driving. Forget it. Too many nutjobs. Other than that, I think maintaining a reasonable speed, and driving in a late-model car with airbags and seat belt, should probably keep me alive. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Don't drive! Stay home and play the ivories. I hope you still find time to keyboard - only your old piano teacher would be after you to keep up your skills! I have tracked you down, and kept up with your antics through my library visits with your Mom.
I have a contact person for you - if you are interested. She works at the American embassy - in the diplomatic corps. Let me know if you want to connect. In the meantime I will continue to follow your adventures. Love, Beth

Alicia said...

Ahhh!!! Beth! You must contact me via e-mail. Get the addy from my mom cuz I'd rather not post it. This is so weird: just yesterday I was thinking of you and wanted to send a letter. Great minds..