Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Apartment, etc




Today I mopped about 25% of the apartment, then gave up and decided maybe I'll start again tomorrow and work on it in geographic increments. Today is Friday, the first day of the weekend, so in the spirit of productivity (after being unable to continue mopping), I also went to Lulu's Hyper Market and bought the only hairdryer for sale in the entire shopping complex. Lulu's is my "corner store", but it isn't much of a corner store. For one, it isn't on the corner - it's actually about a kilometer away. This necessitates purchasing only what I can carry for a kilometer... although I'm pleased to say that "what I can carry for a kilometer" is steadily increasing. Second, it isn't much of a "store". It's more like a massive, two-story mall with a grocery store and a variety of helpful vendors (pharmacy, photo-development stand, western union branch, electronics store, beauty store, home/baby/linens store, exotic perfumes stand, candy corn stand, cellphone store, emirates islamic
bank branch, rug store, food court.) So, are you surprised they only had one hairdryer? I was. The pharmacy man had to dig it off of the top shelf, where it was wedged under a curling iron. This hairdryer is imported from Italy, and it's pretty hot stuff. Four heats, two speeds. Very exciting.

In other news, last night I scored a free ticket to the Dubai Tennis Championships women's quarterfinals with some friends, where I saw Justine Henin lose out in two sets. This was extremely fun for me, even though I don't follow women's tennis, because I instantly hated Justine the moment I saw her. Plus, the opponent was Italian, so I instantly liked her. I became vested in the outcome very quickly. I already had tickets to the Men's semifinals and finals next weekend, and I've been
too busy to check yet how the men are doing. If I can see a Federer-Nadal match, I can die and go to heaven.

1 comment:

SingerMamaMelody said...

Hi Alicia :) I'm really enjoying reading your blog. You are an excellent writer, and I feel like I can see and taste what you are experiencing.

Thanks for sharing! I hope you guys have a good rest of your week. And I'm glad that you found a hair dryer.